jueves, 12 de marzo de 2015

Final Reflection: 9/11

I find that until know I had underestimated the real impact september 11, 2001 had on the world, perhaps because I was four years old when it happened and honestly all my memories are vague, and I'm not sure if I dreamed them up based on what I learned later or if I genuinely remember something. I was raised in a world the way it is today, I can't say I have felt a great change in the world during my lifespan. I know that the reason they take even your nail clippers at the airport is because of that horrible day, but for me it has always been this way. This doesn't mean that I don't care, but unlike people who shared their stories on the internet, I can only remember watching images of towers in my grandparent's TV, and again, this might've been only a dream.
Investigating about the topic has shed light on how 9/11 actually impacted the world I live in and therefore my life. Somehow, most of the things I have written about in this blog boil down to two airplanes flying into the world trade center. ISIS has grown and spread from the hate people feel towards the United States for invading their countries and bombing their territory. This is the reason why it was so important to capture Osama bin Laden, and why he was captured and killed with no trial, despite the fact that he is technically still human. This is the reason why there was a movie made about his capture, to rub it in the faces of all those who posed a threat to the United States (and I know there is a series of reasons why killing him was much easier, but the US is allegedly founded on a set of values which I personally find where transgressed when Osama bin Laden was killed and dumped in the sea).
Most of the wars going on today, if not all of them, stem from this sole act of terrorism. The worst part is that this is just what al Qaeda intended, they knew that one act of strategically placed violence could trigger years of violence, practically ensuring that there would be many wars and untimely deaths for the years to come. If it's not al Qaeda, it's ISIS, and it seems as if trying to stop these groups were like trying to clear a flooding house with a plastic cup. The disappearance of one group does not ensure that another will not rise even more powerful and with more hatred. In the end, violence can only provoke more violence and, although it's idyllic and perhaps even utopic, 14 years later might be enough to start looking for new solutions.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario